EEA Family Permit Applications




Hayat & Co. Solicitors specialise in assisting individuals who wish to obtain an EEA family permit.

Hayat & Co. Solicitors have specialised in all aspects of Human Rights and Immigration and British Nationality law since they were established in 1998.

All our staff is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. You can be assured that by using Hayat & Co. Solicitors you will obtain excellent legal advice at highly competitive rates.

We have extensive experience in all aspects of human rights, immigration, asylum and nationality work at all levels up to including cases before the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg. Due to our diligence and unique passion for human rights law we have over the years acted in many novel cases. We represent clients from all over the world and have access to professional interpreters in any language.

Apply for an EEA family permit

You can apply for an EEA family permit to accompany your family or partner to the UK (or join them after they’ve arrived) if:

  • the person you will be accompanying or joining is from the European Economic Area (EEA) but not the UK

  • you are from outside the EEA

You can apply as either:

  • the wife, husband, civil or unmarried partner, child, grandchild, parent or grandparent of the person you will be joining in the UK

  • a dependent extended family member – eg unmarried partner, brother, sister or cousin

You can also apply for an EEA family permit if you are the main carer of:

  • a British citizen

  • a financially self-sufficient child who is an EEA national

  • a child of an EEA national who was a worker in the UK

You should apply for a visa to join your family member instead if your family member is a British citizen (unless you’re their carer).

You do not need to apply if you hold a valid residence card or permanent residence card issued in the UK.

How long it lasts

An EEA family permit is valid for six months. You can leave and enter the UK as many times as you need within that time.

You can stay for longer than 6 months if you’re related to an EEA national as their:

  • spouse or civil partner

  • child or grandchild, or their spouse or civil partner’s child or grandchild, and under 21 years old

  • dependent child or grandchild, or their spouse or civil partner’s child or grandchild, and over 21 years old

  • dependent parent or grandparent, or their spouse or civil partner’s parent or grandparent

Your EEA family member must be working, a jobseeker, self-employed, studying, self-sufficient or have a permanent right of residence.

You must apply for a UK residence card or leave the UK after your EEA family permit ends if you’re related to your sponsor in any other way.

What you can and cannot do

You can only use a family permit once.

You will need to get a new permit every time you leave and want to re-enter the country.

You must get your permit before traveling to the UK.

Appealing an EEA Refusal

Hayat & Co. Solicitors specialise in appealing refused EEA applications. If your application for a Family Permit is refused, you may have the right to appeal against this decision. You may be given reasons for refusal letter together with the relevant appeal forms. If this appeal is successful, you Family Permit will be granted, if it is not, you may be given the right to appeal before an immigration judge at the Immigration and Asylum chamber (IAC) First Tier Tribunal.

To discuss any aspect of our service or to obtain a quote for your case:



*Free initial consultation is subject to terms & conditions and will be limited to our gaining an understanding to the background of your case and assessing whether in our opinion there may or may not be any options available to you. We will not provide any general or specific advice which we consider you might seek to rely on as this could in our opinion attach legal liability upon which we cannot offer free advice. Please contact us for further details.