UK Spouse Visa & Unmarried Partner Visa Specialists




Hayat & Co. Solicitors specialise in UK Spouse Visa & Unmarried Partner Visa applications made to the  Home Office In the applications submitted to the Home Office in the period from 2010 to 2014 the vast majority of these have been successful. This record of success dating back to 1998 speaks for itself and serves to demonstrate the meticulous care, diligent efforts and genuine concern adopted by Hayat & Co. in its approach and dealing with its clients.

To discuss any aspect of our service or to obtain a quote for your case:





What is a Spouse visa?

Also known as a UK marriage visa, a spouse visa allows married partners of UK citizens to immigrate to the UK because they are married to someone who is ‘settled in the UK’ – i.e. a person who is ordinarily resident in the UK and has no immigration restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK.

What is a Unmarried Partner visa?

The Unmarried Partner visa (also known as the UK defacto visa) allows the unmarried partner to enter or remain in the UK on the basis that they are in a relationship with a person who is present and ‘settled in the UK’. ‘Settled in the UK’ means that you are ordinarily resident in the UK with no immigration restrictions on the length of your stay.

The Unmarried Partner visa applies to both heterosexual and same sex relationships provided that you can prove that your relationship is subsisting and has been in existence for two or more years.

Can I work on a spouse visa?

Yes, you are eligible to work or study in the UK once the visa has been granted.

Spouse visa (married) requirements

To qualify for a UK spouse / marriage visa you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • You and your spouse must be 18 years old or over.

  • You must have met each other and be legally married – this is to prevent arranged marriages.

  • You must intend to live together permanently.

  • You must have enough money to support yourselves (and any dependents) without claiming public funds.

  • Your sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor you. The minimum financial requirement is higher if they are also sponsoring dependant children.

  • You must have suitable accommodation for you, your spouse and any dependants.

  • You must satisfy the English language requirements.

Procedure and Time Scales

Outside the UK:

  • Applicants not presently in the UK must apply for a spouse/civil partner visa to enter the UK in the correct capacity. The application should be lodged at the nearest British overseas post authorised to deal with such matters.

  • The process involves submission of an online application and original specified evidence, attendance at a biometric appointment and potentially an interview. Applicants from certain specified countries may be required to undertake a tuberculosis test.

  • Processing times vary enormously between countries and can be from 1 week to 6 months or more.

Inside the UK:

  • For those already in the UK, with the exception of visitors and others who hold a visa for less than 6 months duration, it is possible to apply direct to the Home Office via either the postal system or premium same day service. The process involves submission of an application with specified evidence and attendance at a biometric appointment.

  • Premium applications are processed in 1 day.

  • Postal applications vary but are typically between 3-6 months.

Switching to a Spouse Visa

Switching to the spouse category is generally flexible as long as you have had a UK visa valid for a period of more than 6 months. You must be making an application to join someone in one of the following categories:

  • British Citizen;

  • a person with ILR;

  • person with refugee status;

  • a person with humanitarian protection.

It is possible to switch using the same day service. Hayat & Co. Solicitors can assist with preparing your application and securing you a PEO/same day appointment.

Same Day Services for Spouse Visa

Hayat & Co. Solicitors can assist in booking a premium/PEO appointment for your spouse application, extension or ILR application.

If you would like to have a PEO same day appointment, Hayat & Co. Solicitors can help. If you opt for this service, a decision will usually be reached on the day you attend the appointment. Most cases are eligible for this premium service however, if there is complications to your case, it may not be suitable for you to go to the UKBA/Home Office in person. We suggest that you contact one of our leading lawyers in London for an assessment so that we can confirm whether you should submit your application by post or in person.

Extending your Spouse Visa

In order to extend your visa, you will be expected to meet many of the requirements you did when applying initially. The rules changed for this category in July 2012 and so you will need to know which type of spouse visa you were granted when applying. The rules prior to July 2012 were much less restrictive then the post July 2012 rules. The Salary requirement was raised and the documentary evidence burden had been raised to a much higher standard, now comparable to the old Tier 1 (General) rules.

Hayat & Co. Solicitors can assist you with the process of an extension either on the PEO/same day service or by post. Contact one of our lawyers today.

To discuss any aspect of our service or to obtain a quote for your case:

Telephone: Mr Hayat directly on 0208 360 4485

or Email:


*Free initial consultation is subject to terms & conditions and will be limited to our gaining an understanding to the background of your case and assessing whether in our opinion there may or may not be any options available to you. We will not provide any general or specific advice which we consider you might seek to rely on as this could in our opinion attach legal liability upon which we cannot offer free advice. Please contact us for further details.